Thursday 1 January 2009

Reading plans

I have to say that American Wife is one of the best contemporary novels I've ever read. I just couldn't put it down. It examines how a woman, married to a powerful man, retains as sense of her own identity. It follows the life of Alice Lindgren from teenager to mature woman. I really liked the part of the book which was set in the 70's. Sittenfeld portrays the fashions, popular books and spirit of the decade without you ever getting the sense that it has been over-researched (one of my pet hates in novels). I also liked the fact that Alice resembles Sabrina from Charlie's Angels! Obviously this is a fictionalised account of the life of Laura Bush and that has caused some controversy, but it's a great book.

I now want to read another weighty and substantial novel, so I'm going to tackle Olivia Manning's The Balkan Trilogy. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Tara said...

I really liked American Wife. It's too bad in a way that it's based on Laura Bush, since that will turn some people off.

Vintage Reading said...

Tara, yes it will put people off. I think she's portrayed very sympathetically, though. Such a good book.

Saz said...

oh lucky you sittenfeld has been on my TO BUY list since early December..and the Balkans I can't believe l havent read it...thanks for the reminder..

Have you any of the Persephone books, I get two a month...heartwarming and beautiful...

Vintage Reading said...

I've got quite a few Persephone's now. I'm planning a return visit to the shop this year!