Tuesday 31 March 2009

Persuasion (part 2)

Anne Elliot is forced to witness the blossoming relationship between Captain Wentworth and Louisa Musgrove when she reluctantly joins them on a chilly November walk. You can't help wondering if Anne's melancholy autumnal musings echo Austen's own state of mind as she fought declining health to complete the novel.

Yet Persuasion is not a sombre book. Regrets, misunderstandings and a gap of eight and a half years means that the eventual reunion between Wentworth and Anne is so much sweeter and I love his final letter to her 'For you alone I think and plan.'

My edition also includes an intriguing cancelled chapter which I'd never read before.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Of course, I love Wentworth's letter as well. No one beats Jane.

I've read the alternate chapter and whilst I found it interesting, can see why she changed it. As Persuasion now is, how Wentworth really feels is a matter of speculation and suspense until the end and that wonderful letter, which works better for me.

Elaine said...

"Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you"

Every time I read Persuasion I cannot stop until I find out what happens even though I know what happens! That letter of Captain W is just so passionate and wonderful I adore this book, it is my favourite Austen

Vintage Reading said...

I think Persuasion is my favourite, too. Closely followed by Mansfield Park. Yes, the complexity of Austen's novels means you see more in them each time your read.